Learn theoretical and practical knowledge of multimedia video coding systems with respect to basic techniques, coding standards like MPEG/JPEG and architectures for implementation.
Foundation. Basics of practical video compression techniques, such as predictive coding and transform coding. Source coding theory and various implementations. Explanation of transforms, quantization and VLC algorithms. Introduction of motion compensation and hybrid video coding.
Multimedia standards for video compression. Explanation of commonly applied standards, such as the DV standard for digital camcorders, JPEG for still pictures, MPEG-1 for VCD and computers, MPEG-2 for DVD players and multimedia computers and DTV transmission.
The computer assignment aims at applying the knowledge and provides the student an executable framework for experiments with video compression. At the end a small task has to be carried out to simulate a certain video or coding function. The computer assignment can also be performed as a block activity after the lectures, but the results remain part of the examination.
Stochastic Signal Processing
All lectures in Paviljoen A12b. Schedule:
- 7 febr 08.45-10.30 : Module 1
- 10 febr 13.45-15.30 : Module 1 and 2
- 14 febr 08.45-10.30 : Module 2 and 3
- 17 febr 13.45-15.30 : Module 3 and 4
- 24 febr 13.45-15.30 : Module 4 and 5
- 7 mar 08.45-10.30 : Module 5 and 6
- 14 mar 08.45-10.30 : Module 6
- 17 mar 13.45-15.30 : Module 6 and 7
- 21 mar 08.45-10.30 : Module 7 and 8
- 24 mar 13.45-15.30 : Module 8 and 9
- 28 mar 08.45-10.30 : Module 9 and 10
- 31 mar 13.45-15.30 : Guest lecture
- 4 apr 08.45-10.30 : Module 10 and 11
- 7 apr 13.45-15.30 : Module 11